Ten Tips That Work
Nearly every January I see a peak in business from clients who’ve made a new year’s resolution to get in shape. Most of these clients fall off the wagon by February, and of course, there are those who manage to accomplish their goals. In my experience, there are some common traits and steps that can be taken to help you accomplish your fitness goal.
- Make Healthy Living a Habit. Studies have found that anything that you do for 21 consecutive days becomes habit. Commit yourself to exercising five days a week for three straight weeks. Consistency is the key. The challenge is not letting excuses like these get you off track. Consistency is the key.
- Get some sleep. You should get a minimum of 8 hours a sleep a night. Sleep supports weight loss and has a direct impact on the hormones that promotes weight loss. A lack of sleep disturbs the hormonal imbalance. A good night sleep also assists the body in relieving the natural mental and physical stresses of the day; and equips the body with the energy needed for a vigorous workout.
- Try to get your work out in as early in your day as possible. Getting your metabolism going early provides calorie burning benefit throughout the entire day. Working out early also reduces the chances of other things (working late, call from child’s school, work emergency) from getting in the way of your workout.
- Be Patient. Weight gain is a gradual process and the same can be said of weight loss. Rome was not built in a day. Be patient through your journey. Start off slow and gradually increase the intensity and duration of your work outs.
- Invest in proper workout attire. Nothing impedes a workout more than having to constantly pull or tug at your clothing. Purchase functional and comfortable workout clothing. Select shoes that are appropriate for the activity at hand.
- Atmosphere is everything. Find a place or space that energizes and motivates your work out. That may be a room in your home or at a gym, but wherever you work out, it should be an atmosphere that you enjoy spending time in.
- Find an accountability partner. As the name implies, an “accountability partner” is someone who will hold you accountable for your fitness goals. Give that person the permission to check you if you get off track. This person might be a trainer, friend, or family member, but it must be someone who is committed to keeping you motivated.
- Variety is the spice of life. Exercise should be fun. Try different forms of working out. Explore Zumba, jump rope, step aerobics, recreational sports, resistance training, speed walking, working out solo, joining a class or group workout session. Keep it fresh and exciting.
- Find natural opportunities to get your body moving. Park at the back of the parking lot and as far away from the entry point as possible; take the stairs at work; walk to the sandwich shop for lunch; or walk down the hall to speak with a co-worker versus using the phone or email.
- Change your relationship with food. Begin making healthy choices in your diet. Choose lean meats, proteins, fruits and vegetables. Control your portion sizes and eat until you’re satisfied, not full. Planning your meals in advance, including keeping healthy snacks on hand at all times. Finally, drink at least two liters of water daily to properly transport nutrients through the cells of your body.
Body By Blake is a full service health and wellness company, dedicated to helping families change their lives through optimal fitness training and proper nutrition. Our company targets three key groups: families, youth and seniors. Headquartered in Southwest Atlanta, Body By Blake was formed and is currently being led by US Army Veteran Charles Blake. The company’s full service gym is conveniently located in Atlanta’s Camp Creek area, provides the feel of a family gym and the privacy that many clients look for. Body By Blake offers fitness solutions for everyone, from personal training services and innovative group exercise classes to a variety of strength, cardio and functional training equipment. For more information, visit our website at BodyByBlakeATL.com.