Believe it or not, it’s already time for the kids to head back to school. If you have young children in school and you’re anything like me, you’re excited, anxious and struggling to get back into the school year routine, all at the same time! It seems like the summer flies right by. I’m sure many of you go back and forth between packing lunch for your kid(s) to take to school and allowing your kid(s) to eat the lunch that their school provides.
If you would like to send school lunch more often, but struggle when it comes to packing a simple, healthy and budget friendly lunch, I have some great suggestions for you. Prepping a healthy lunch doesn’t have to be complicated, overwhelming or expensive. If you follow these tips, you can become a healthy lunch packing pro!
Healthy Lunch Packing Tips for School
- Always include a fresh fruit, a vegetable and a healthy protein
- Grains are optional, but when included, pack whole grains (i.e. whole wheat crackers, whole wheat bread, etc.)
- Try to make a lunch meal calendar a week in advance
- On Sunday, cut up fresh fruits and vegetables for the week
- Incorporate leftover dinner items to save money and time
- Let your child(ren) prep the items that they can, to help cut back on your prep time
- Try to make 2-3 lunches at once so you only have to prepare lunch 2-3 times each week
- Consider using reusable all-in-one containers that allow for easy packing, such as Easy Lunchboxes (EasyLunchboxes.com)
I hope this helps in making your healthy lunch prep process a simple, enjoyable and budget friendly experience. Please let me know how it goes. I would love to share your feedback with our community. You can connect with me for free recipes, tips and resources by liking my Facebook page @ShontePress and via my website at PressOnEnterprise.com.