Create a stress-free you for the New Year with mindfulness exercises
Mindfulness is simply focusing one’s attention on the present moment without judgment. Not only will you stress less with regular practice, you will also reap benefits like improved general health, mental clarity, better sleep, and a greater sense of connectedness.
These five easy and effective exercises can help you jump start your practice and find your inner calm.
- Mindful Breathing – Breathe through your nostrils for 6 rounds per inhale and exhale. Feel the air moving in and out of your nose. Do this for a minute or more and notice how much more relaxed you feel.
- Mindful Moving – Practices such as yoga and martial arts exercise the mind and the body. Even with just a few sessions, you may start to feel less stressed and notice an improvement in your overall health.
- Mindful Listening – Ever just want to be heard? So does the next person. Connection reduces stress, so give another the gift of your undivided attention without judgment when they are speaking and you will feel even more connected to them as they will feel toward you.
- Mindful Observation – Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, pay attention. Pay attention to your breath, to your emotions, to your bodily sensations, to external stimuli. That’s it. Just notice without judgment and you will actually feel less stressed and more focused.
- Mindful Rest – Sleep is so underrated, but sometimes falling asleep is not easy. If that is the case for you, go back to mindful breathing. Just breathe and allow sleep to come. You’ll be amazed at the benefits of a good night’s rest.
Start your mindfulness journey with yoga at Welcome All Park in South Fulton and The Vault @East Point with Phaedra. Follow @iamphaedrab on Instagram for more information.